Here’s your fifth question (in a series of five).
Which of these statements do you feel apply to you?
(a) I know I can become really good at drawing with practice.
(b) I’m not sure if I can draw but I’ll give it a go.
(c) There isn’t a creative bone in my body. I can’t even draw a stick figure.
If you answered (c) then don’t worry, the majority of adults feel exactly the same way you do.
If you answered (a) or (b) then that’s great, you should be able to move confidently ahead with any drawing course that you embark on.
For the rest of us who aren’t so confident of our abilities, you probably have a case of what I call ‘Artability Phobia’, but the really good news is that it can be cured and there is no need to fear, because if you have the ability to hold a pencil to write then you can also draw and paint.
Conquering Artability Phobia
In my years as an art instructor I have found that just about everybody I teach has the natural gifts to be able to draw and then paint.
Invariably it has been a student’s artability phobia that has to be conquered and overcome in order for them to be successful.
All you need to conquer your artability phobia once and for all is to do the following;
- Understand where your ‘Artability Phobia’ came from in the first place.
- Learn how to counter the negative messages that your logical mind tells you when you start to learn to draw.
- Learn a few basic art techniques that utilise skills you already use in your everyday life.
- Practice your new skills as often as you can and draw to your heart’s content.
During the Draw and Paint In Your Pyjamas course we understand that some people may have a case of artability phobia. If this is you, don’t worry, we’ll help overcome it and move forward with confidence on your journey of self-discovery through art.
Lets wrap things up and get started… where to from here?
- Introduction: Your Natural Gifts for Drawing Revealed
- Horizontal and Vertical Comparison
- Size Comparison
- Arranging Objects
- Light and Dark Comparison
- Conquering Artability Phobia
- Where to From Here? Refine Your Gifts for Drawing
Latest posts by Cindy Wider (see all)
- How To Overcome Artists Block and Procrastination Once and For All! - August 6, 2014
- Emanuele Dascanio The Great Italian Master Artist – Part Two - March 10, 2014
- Emanuele Dascanio The Great Italian Master Artist – Part One - February 4, 2014